Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dublin: III

December 14, 2009, Monday


Michelle and I really booked this trip well, time-wise. We had the full day in Dublin on Saturday and today our flight didn't leave until night, so we had all day, until 5 p.m., in the city. That makes 3 full days in this beautiful country! We woke up early because when you stay in a hostel room with other people, when they get up early in the morning, you're pretty much up early in the morning, too. We had breakfast and were ready for the day by 8:30, which was a little ridiculous because nothing was really open and we had alllll day to do stuff. We made great friends with Stephen, a worker at Paddy's Palace. He told us that if you work for the company for 3 or 6 months, you get free lodging and you can go on tours for free! What a deal! We watched a little Irish morning news and some crappy tv to kill some time.


Finally, we left to see some sights, the first being Trinity College. It was a little colder today, so we bundled up even though it was a pretty short walk. The campus is absolutely gorgeous with huge stone buildings and a great courtyard. I'm sure I looked like a little tourist, taking photos while all the students were walking to and from class. We went there to see the Book of Kells, which is an illuminated manuscript from the 800s, containing the four gospels of the New Testament, written in Latin by Celtic monks. It was a really interesting exhibition, though I'm not sure it was worth 8 euros. I did get a coupon for a free postcard! Haha. After, we took a stroll down Grafton Street, which is the equivalent of; Rue de Rivoli (Paris), Regent Street (London), even Newbury Street (Boston); Basically, all sopping. We peeked in a few stores and bought gloves, but that's it; I behaved! We exited right next to Saint Stephen's Green, a wonderful, beautiful park in the city, and strolled all around it. It reminded me of being in Parc Monceau in Paris...just like home! As it started to get colder, we returned to Paddy's and had some time to warm up and relax before taking the 5 p.m. Bus to the airport. Our driver was the same one who had taken us from the airport to the hostel a couple days earlier, and he was so nice, too! Really, everyone there was so nice. I think we formed some pretty good bonds to be honest.


The flight home was flawless, it just took a long time. By the time I got back to the foyer it was after midnight. I got to sleep a little on the bus ride back to Paris, but I had to stay up a little later to finish working in my final paper due Wednesday.


So, to sum it all up: This weekend was definitely one of the best ones of my life! I'm so happy Michelle and I went together because we had so much fun and were silly, so that aspect was definitely fun. Plus, we got to spend a lot of time in a truly breathtaking country—one that I would love to revisit someday. I'm very fortunate to have been able to do so much traveling this semester. It really does feel like all of Europe is at your fingertips once you're over here, and it is pretty easy to get around. Even better when you can find cheap flights. Now I have to enjoy the last few days left in Paris before I head back home. What a whirlwind!


Bisous mes amis!

No comments:

Post a Comment